Laser eye surgery can help people by correcting vision problems such as farsightedness, nearsightedness or astigmatism. It can also help you get rid of your glasses. As a leading eye clinic in Vaughan, we often get people asking us questions about undergoing laser eye surgery. Read on to learn the most frequently asked questions about eye surgery and what our expert laser eye surgeons have to say about them.
7 Questions About Laser Eye Surgery
- Is Laser Eye Surgery Safe?
- According to our laser eye surgeons, although some patients may feel mild discomfort, eye surgery is a painless and safe procedure. The treatment may slightly vary depending on the type of surgery. You may be given eye drops to prevent infection and dryness. In some cases, the surgeon may also ask you to wear a protective eyepatch after the surgery.
- Does the Result Wear Off Over Time?
- The outcome of eye surgery is meant to last a lifetime. It is a safe procedure and does not have any long-term complications. Studies show that only about 5% of laser surgery patients showed signs of regression and most of them were farsighted. However, it helps to follow the instructions of your surgeon before and after the procedure to avoid any complications.
- Who Can Undergo Laser Eye Surgery?
- Although most people are suitable for a laser procedure, they must meet the following criteria:
- You must be 21 years or above. Also, you should have a stable prescription for at least one year.
- It is not advisable for pregnant women or those breastfeeding to undergo laser surgery. This is because the hormonal changes may affect your eyesight.
- If you have diabetes, glaucoma, or any other eye condition, it helps to consult a specialist before undergoing laser eye surgery.
- What is the Age Limit for an Eye Surgery?
- The lower age limit for a laser procedure is 21 years. This is because human eyes are not fully developed when you are young. Although there is no upper limit, most eye clinics do not operate on persons above the age of 70 to avoid any complications.
- What is the Cost of Laser Eye Surgery?
- The total cost of laser eye surgery depends on the following factors:
- Your prescription
- The type of laser procedure
- The surgeon operating on you
- The clinic and its location
- The average price usually ranges between $500 to $3000 in Vaughan. You can consult your eye surgeon for details on the cost of a laser procedure suited for you.
- Will the Cost Increase if My Eyesight is Bad?
- The cost of an eye procedure depends on the pricing policy of the clinic. Some eye clinics have a flat rate regardless of the condition of your eyesight, while others may consider the complexity involved in the procedure if your vision is poor. Cost, however, should not be the main reason for choosing a specific eye clinic for your surgery. It helps to consider other aspects such as the surgeon’s experience, the clinic’s reputation, and its location to make the right decision.
- How Long is the Recovery Process?
- The recovery period after laser eye surgery depends on the type of procedure you’ve had and your healing capacity. Although most patients have normal vision within 24 to 48 hours after the treatment, some may take up to a week to recover. It helps to consult your surgeon beforehand and discuss how much time you may have to take off.
We Have the Best Laser Eye Surgeons in Vaughan
At UELC, we have qualified surgeons in our eye clinic in Vaughan. We work towards understanding your needs and come up with suitable vision correction options that meet your goals.
If you are looking for ways to get rid of your glasses, give us a call at 416-653-8352 or fill out our online form to schedule a consultation with our experts.